Sunday, February 21, 2010

Picture Tease

Been busy the last few days trying to get some trees pruned now that the sun is shining again. Lots to do so I thought I'd just re-post an email I sent out from Senegal for now. Enjoy!

Dear Friends and Family,

Been busy and still trying to get over jet lag. Lots going on with so many people wanting to see my folks. We went out to one of the villages inland and enjoyed Yasa Poullett, a rice and chicken dish with some special seasoning, onions and green olives and vinager that makes a tasty tangy dish! We certainly haven't starved here! But the late nights and long days are taking a toll on the old body. It was pretty hot inland today and hasn't really cooled down as much this evening as one could hope for.



Going out in the country was more like I remember Senegal being as a kid. The city has gone from about 200,000 residence when I lived here to something like 750,000. What used to be bush is now filled with houses. It's definitely a "3rd World Country" but I am a bit surprised at how far the bigger cities have come. Apparently there is a lot of foreign aid reaching Senegal, a lot of it from China. Not sure what they're after but they are pouring the money into the bigger cities. We did see some villages that are still grass shacks and bramble fences today. Stopped to pick up some water at a roadside store and got mobbed by ladies trying to sell baobab fruit, peanuts, these green bean things and something they make a reddish drink out of (non-alcoholic).

We also saw several of the village churchs that have been build by the African church community which was pretty exciting for my folks. Out host today was one of the pastors and his family. They were so excited to visit with Mom and Dad. Neat to watch. We're supposed to attend church tomorrow which should be another interesting experience. The dedication of a new library and college is next Saturday. I've been told there will be a plague honoring Mom and Dad which will be placed there.

Lots to write about but I'm tired and running out of gas. Everyone is doing well for the most part. My nephew is struggling some with a new cavity that's causing him grief, and my Mom's knee gave out on her this evening for a while. Too much heat and activity. She's doing better after resting. Kinda worried about her ability to stand up to all the activities. We're all supposed to head to the beach later tomorrow for a few days of rest and relaxation. Looking forward to that too. The wild animal park is supposed to be near there. Hopefully we'll see something. I did try to slap a brahma bull on the rump for Rob's sake but he wouldn't let me get close to him! Fraidy cat, fraidy cat!

Oh one more thing. The kids seem fascinated or terrified of my beard - can't quite tell which! Some want to touch it and others seem very timid about it. But I sure get the looks. Played "King of the Hill" with them last night at the big church picnic. They seemed to enjoy the old man making a fool of himself, although I did terrify one kid when I caught him. He was about 4 or 5. I think he was afraid he was going to be eaten alive. Wailed so loud his momma came to rescue him. Of course, by that time I had reassured him that I wasn't going to eat him and he had almost stopped crying. Ah, the casualty of play.

Finishing some laundary and then heading to bed. The hotel is simple but comfortable. That's another story. Hope all is well your way. Some of my mold is starting to flake off. I could almost be grumpy about the heat but after this winter, maybe not.

Bon Nuit,
Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment